Opt-In Requirement Data

Do you have any benchmarking data on whether requiring individuals to opt into communications as part of the registration process impacts the overall registration or quality of leads produced?

2 Likes

Hi @samira.mcdonald.1 I have a lot of data available between sign ups for webinars for instance in USA, CA and AUS vs EU. I could dive into it a bit further if you have any specific data you are looking for?

Does requiring an opt in impact the CAN SPAM act?

We have some opt-in data about physical magazines, but it’s mostly from webinars over a year old. We’ve stopped almost all physical mailings besides 1 of our publications now. These were done in combination with webinar registrations.

I can’t imagine it would impact the CAN SPAM act. Technically, even though it’s required it would still be voluntary as the consumer could just opt to not attend and therefore not sign up. Also, when you do finally email them just make sure they can opt-out and you should be set.

We don’t require email communication opt ins for registration, partially because I don’t think it’s a good tool, but I also think it would be a detriment to registration. If people are so interested in our company, we’ve given them plenty to interact with and pursue within our webinars to engage them. Plus, we have follow-up practices for post-webinar where our sales folks call based on engagement.

We only require opt-in for Canada, and use a simple checkbox in the registration process.

1 Like

We have some preliminary data since implementing the mandatory opt-in field for non-CEU/PD events. For 2020 events to date, the average registration page conversion for non-mandatory opt-in events is 47%. For mandatory opt-in events, it’s 46%. So it’s clearly not a dramatic impact on how many people visit the page and actually follow-through with registration.

The biggest impact, however, is in the amount of contactable leads we get as a result. 100% for mandatory events (obviously) versus 27% on average for non-mandatory events. So that’s a pretty big difference.

I would say making the field mandatory has far more benefit than detriment. These days, you expect that if you’re getting something for “free” from a company or an organization, you’ll at least have the courtesy to accept an initial e-mail from them. And if you don’t like what they send, they’ll have an unsubscribe option and you can just say “don’t contact me.” Some of our internal partners aren’t happy with the decision, but the data so far suggests it isn’t a bad practice. We’ll continue to monitor as we move ahead, though.

Sadly not cause of cjis data

We don’t require opt ins for registrations either. We usually follow up with anyone that attends the webinar and is interested in speaking to a sales rep.